Wednesday, April 27, 2011

May Terrain Project - Imperial Construction Yard

I decided that each month I will not only tackle a painting/conversion project, but also a terrain project. I have decided to do monthly terrain projects for two reasons.

The first is that my family has compared my tenacities to storing raw terrain components to that of a hoarder. Yes thanks to that wonderful A&E show, I have been lumped in the same category as mentally disturbed people who just do not know how to throw stuff away or give animals away. Monthy terrain projects will show them that I am not insane and more importantly that I do something with the stuff I liberate from my neighborer's roadside cast offs.

The second reason is I like to make terrain and need to keep myself motivated in the hobby. Being able to play on quality scenery really makes a difference in the overall enjoyment of the game I think. This will also serve to round out my scenery collection that is composed of hills and ruins.

The rules for my monthly terrain projects are simple. Each project must have a central theme and each component must fit that theme. In addition, I must make a minimum of 6 pieces of terrain. Ideally I want to make enough to cover 33% of a gaming board. That would be enough scenery to give the board a certain feel and still allow me to use some generalized terrain in which to round out the experience.

For the month of May I decided on an Imperial construction yard theme. I suspect there will be a number of storage tanks, some buildings and some vehicles. In my head I am thinking it should have the feel of the colony from the Aliens movie. I have lots of bits that would be suited for such a project, but I found the best one last week while driving around.

   
Yep, that is a big honking fire truck that will be converted into some sort of imperial vehicle. I will take it apart to do some detailing on the interior control cab. This will most likely be the big center piece to the set. Though there might be another large center piece as well.

I had to resist the urge to make the truck an ork battle wagon.

No comments:

Post a Comment